Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore. Excepteur sint lorem cupidatat.

You may like:

How to Respond to a Crisis

Call 911 if you are in any life threatening crisis, or feel like you are in danger for your life either by self-harm or by someone else.


If you find yourself responding to a mental health emergency where someone is in danger of causing bodily harm to self or others, you should do one of the following:

Option 1: Call the Crisis Line (310-6789 or 1-800-Suicide)

  • They will conduct safety assessment and recommend course of action
  • They can contact the individual directly to provide support
  • They can contact emergency services if necessary

Option 2: Call Emergency Services (911)

  • They will conduct a safety assessment and take action as necessary
  • They provide transportation to emergency room where individual will receive mental health assessment

Option 3: Go to the Abbotsford Reginal Hospital Emergency Room

  • Fastest way to obtain safety assessment and treatment in a crisis situation
  • Students are not responsible for transporting other students to the hospital – contact staff or emergency services

By contacting one of the above options, you guarantee the safety of the individual, and immediate assessment and referral to appropriate treatment options. Some of these treatment options are described below.


If you find yourself dealing with someone aged 0-18 who is experiencing abuse or neglect:

  • To report abuse or neglect of a child aged 0-18 in British Columbia, call 1-800-663-9122 twenty-four hours a day to report. A duty worker will talk with you about your concerns, even anonymously at first, and about the reporting process.
  • If you are a child in an abusive situation you can call the children’s HELPLINE at 604-310-1234! This line is available for anyone aged 0-18 to call in for help!


Assessment Centres

Youth Short-Term Assessment Response Treatment Team (START) 

Confidential mental health crisis intervention services for children and teens (ages 6 – 18).

How to Access this Service:  Youth, families and professionals call directly to 1-844-782-7811.

Adult Short-Term Assessment and Treatment 

Access to:

  • Information and referrals to other community services/resources
  • Short-term or brief individual therapy/counselling
  • Group therapy
  • Psychiatric consultation
  • Urgent community response
  • Crisis intervention

How to Access this Service: Call 604.870.7800. You can self-refer into the program or referrals can be made on your behalf by your family doctor, a family member, friend or others supporting you.

Community Social Services (Housing, Food, Legal Help)

 Abbotsford Community Services:

  • Programs and support for housing, work, and nutrition (free food)
  • Addictions counselling
  • Food Bank
  • Sexual Abuse Intervention
  • Intimate Partner Abuse program (Stopping the Violence)
  • Legal Assistance

How to Access This Service: Call 604-859-7681 or email info@abbotsfordcommunityservices.com

Addictions Support:

Abbotsford Community Services – Free Drug & Alcohol Outpatient Program

  • Individual, couple, family counselling
  • Recovery Groups for men and women
  • Substance Affected Group
  • Referrals to other services
  • Prevention activities in the community

How to Access this Service: Attendance at an orientation session is required. There is a waitlist for individual counselling however new clients can usually join a group right away. Call 604-850-5106 to find out date of next orientation.

Eating Disorders Support

Eating Disorders Help